1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-screen Using KVM switch for 2 radiology PACS

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Rpusmells, Aug 3, 2023.

1. Rpusmells

Rpusmells Guest

Hi all,

I am having trouble figuring out if a KVM switch is a viable solution for my application and wondering if anyone has any insight.

The setup is as follows:
    -1 workstation with a radiology PACS for reading images
    -1 workstation with a different radiology PACS for reading images (from a different hospital)
    -Level 1 Tech KVM 4 monitor 2 computer switch with DisplayPort cables
    -4 total monitors. 1 HP regular monitor, 2 Barco radiology monitors, and 1 additional HP regular monitor

I am running into an issue which is making this unworkable and wondering if there is a workaround. Basically, first I load up the PACS software which places windows such as dictation software and other extraneous software on the far left and far right monitors and the actual image reading windows on the center 2 diagnostic Barco monitors. I do the same on the other computer as well. The problem is, when I switch from one workstation to the other, instead of remembering the position of the windows prior to switching, it puts everything onto the nondiagnostic monitor on the left. The problem is that you cannot move the PACS image reading windows manually and you have to exit and reopen the software to get it to register that there are additional monitors again.

Does anyone know of anything that can be used to keep things in place? I tried the software persistentwindows, but it seems to only work for windows that are freely movable and not windows such as the PACS software which are not movable.

Thanks for any insight.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello Rpusmells,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

It sounds like your setup is preventing DisplayPort from remembering the video settings upon switching from one computer to another.

A possible way to fix that is to introduce a DisplayPort Hotplug Maintainer between each video connector on all of your computers and the KVM switch.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime. You may also give us a call at 1-800-636-3434 for further clarifications on this thread.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

3. Labrati

Labrati Guest

RP,
    Use a newer card that can run newer versions of the barco drivers (we use MXRT 6700's). These have an EDID fix in them that will prevent your issue. No solution for the monitors going to sleep or powering down for a few seconds during switching, but the monitors DO retain enumeration within windows (assuming 10). We have tested several KVM's and none so far work as well as the AdderView PRO DVI units. But DVI is dead(ish). We are starting to look at IP KVM. Good Luck.

4. Allan Castillo

Allan Castillo New member

KVMGalore,

Which KVM is recommended for this setup?

-1 workstation with a radiology PACS for reading images
    -1 workstation with a different radiology PACS for reading images (from a different hospital)
    -4 total monitors. 1 HP regular monitor, 2 Barco radiology monitors, and 1 additional HP regular monitor (all monitors support DisplayPort)

5. KVMGalore Expert

Hello Allan,

Assuming that each of your two computers has 4x DisplayPort video connections, SM-EDPN-2Q would best do the job for you, retaining the video EDID.
    Other models may not properly retain the video EDID.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime. You may also give us a call at 1-800-636-3434 for further clarifications on this thread.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

6. Allan Castillo

Allan Castillo New member

Is there a USB 3.0 version?

7. KVMGalore Expert

SV231QDPU34K supports USB 3.0 for peripheral sharing. All other models support USB 2.0 for peripheral sharing.

Hope this helps!

8. KVMGalore Expert

Labrati,

Have a look at the new Multi-Screen DisplayPort KVM Switches w/ EDID that support EDID Aux Emulation.

With EDID Aux (DisplayPort Auxiliary channel) video emulation, your window and monitor configurations remain intact when switching between computers, ensuring a smooth and uninterrupted workflow.

Unlike traditional DisplayPort KVM switches, SmartAVI multi-screen DisplayPort KVM switches w/ EDID are designed to overcome the inherent DisplayPort loss of emulated picture when switching from one connected computer to another (leading to a disorganized desktop video upon switching). SmartAVI multi-screen DisplayPort KVM switches w/ EDID's built-in EDID Aux emulation offers full EDID video emulation that ensures visual workspaces and screen resolutions are remembered every time you switch between computers.

SmartAVI multi-screen DisplayPort KVM switches w/ EDID's built-in EDID Aux emulation offers:
    • Consistent screen resolutions: With EDID (Aux) Emulation, your screen resolutions stay static, providing a stable visual experience when switching between connected computers
    • Persistent icon and window positions: Switch between connected computers without the chaos - icons and window positions remain undisturbed, ensuring a smooth transition between tasks
    • Multi-video-head stability: In multi-head setups, monitor positions stay intact, maintaining the organization you've carefully set up within your operating system

Hope this helps!

9. ddroukas

ddroukas Guest

Before ordering, I want to doubly verify the SM-EDPN-2Q would be appropriate for my potential setup. Hardware would include:
    • Workstation CPU #1 (with four Mini DisplayPort outputs)
    • Workstation CPU #2 (with four Mini DisplayPort outputs)
    • One Dell standard monitor (P2422H), positioned left (one standard DisplayPort input)
    • One Dell standard monitor (P2422H), positioned right (one standard DisplayPort input)
    • One LG 32HL512D 8mp Dual Diagnostic monitor (two standard DisplayPort inputs)
    • One Logitech G502 Hero Mouse
    • One Dell keyboard
    • One Nuance PowerMic III
    My monitors are currently hooked up to the workstation CPU via Mini DisplayPort to standard DisplayPort adapters.

10. KVMGalore Expert

Hello ddroukas,

It looks like SM-EDPN-2Q would be appropriate for your potential setup with one exception: SM-EDPN-2Q does not support a microphone.

Hope this helps!

11. Michael SmartAVI

Michael SmartAVI Active member

Hello ddroukas,

I can confirm that our SM-EDPN-2Q will work with your setup, minus the microphone support.

While I am not sure if all the functions of the mouse will work in the dedicated mouse port, if you plug it into either of the USB 2.0 peripheral ports, it will work just fine.

Thank you and Best Regards,