1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch 2 Mac Minis + speakers, USB printer, scanner...which KVM switch?

Discussion in 'KVM' started by writer, Jul 23, 2014.

1. writer

writer New member

Hello,

I'd like to be able to toggle between 2 Mac Minis on my Apple DVI 20" cinema screen. I have an Apple wired USB keyboard and mouse, 2 USB external HD's, and a USB scanner, printer, skype camera, and mic. I also have two speakers with 1 audio jack. I am using AT&T gateway 2 wire Ethernet for internet.

I also use a USB hub.

I don't want to spend much over $100...and preferably less!

It seems like I need a 2 port DVI KVMwith audio and extra USB ports beyond what the keyboard and mouse uses. Does such an animal exist? Would be nice to have hot keys and or a remote too.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

[​IMG]You need a DVI KVMA/KVMP switch, which will allow you to share one console (keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers) PLUS extra USB peripherals between the two computers.

Anyone of these models will work for you.

Please note that the cable-KVMs (such as CS682 and GCS932UB), while offering remote (wired) switch button, they support USB peripheral sharing through and external (powered) USB hub (which is not provided). The pricier KVMs typically have the USB peripheral sharing capability already built-in.

3. writer

writer New member

Thank you...I see what you mean about the peripherals with external hubs. Do you think it would work as well if I plug the peripherals into the usb ports on my keyboard?

4. writer

writer New member

...and how do you plug in internet to my older mac mini 10.4 power pc g4?

5. KVMGalore Expert

Probably not. The cable-KVMs that require an external hub for sharing USB peripherals require the mouse connector from the KVM to be used for the USB peripheral sharing. The keyboard connector will most likely not support USB peripheral sharing even if your keyboard has a built-in USB hub.

6. KVMGalore Expert

These KVM switches (just as any KVM switch) do not support sharing Internet access.