1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-screen 2x2 KVM switch

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Scott U, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Scott U

Scott U New member

Here's my dilemma: Purchased new PC console with 2 HDMI ports. Want to use two HDMI connected displays. Easy enough. I, then, want to use these two displays with a laptop and switch between PC and laptop. Laptop has either VGA or DisplayPort ports.

I've been told I need a 2x2 KVM switch but having difficulty finding with HDMI ports with USB to use one keyboard and mouse set up, not to mention external audio speakers. Realize I need HDMI / DisplayPort converter for laptop. Do you sell such a solution?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

[​IMG] We are assuming you are looking to set up a dual-view console with extended desktop capability (where you could scroll your mouse from one screen to the other), with one keyboard/mouse (as shown in the attached image) and speakers, while being able to use this console to switch between your new PC and older laptop.

For this to work, each computer must have two video ports with compatible video, that can be used concurrently.

It sounds like your new PC has this capability. Please confirm that your laptop also has this capability (it may only allow you to use one video port, not both concurrently). Even if it does, please realize that VGA (analog video) is NOT compatible with HDMI (digital video). And so, it looks like you will need to add a new digital video port to your laptop. Luckily, this is easy enough to do (without replacing your laptop's video card) by using and external video card that runs off a USB port on your laptop.

Dual-video HDMI KVM switches are pretty scarce in the marketplace. Here's one for you to look at: UHDN-4P-Duo.

However - since HDMI video is compatible with DVI video, you may want to have a looks at these 2-port dual-view KVMA switches.

If you end up using a DVI switch, you could use these DVI-HDMI cables to make the connections.

Depending on which switch you select, you may need to use video adapters:
    DisplayPort to HDMI
    DisplayPort to DVI

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime, or just offer your feedback.

3. Scott U

Scott U New member

Thanks for the detailed reply. My laptop has both VGA and DisplayPort outputs. When I use my docking station at work for the laptop, I can use two screens; however, I don't have the docking station at home where I have my home PC obviously. Appears it has dual-view extended desktop capability.

Sounds like I could connect to the HDMI KVM with my DisplayPort out from my laptop, if I get a DisplayPort to HDMI converter. Do you sell any 2-port KVM version of UHDN-4P-Duo? I'm trying to save on cost. Going the full DVI route with converters for both HDMI and the DisplayPort seems overkill, but that may be a more economical solution. Thanks again for the great service!

4. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Unfortunately not. As mentioned previously, dual-video HDMI KVM switches are pretty scarce in the marketplace.

No conversion required! You could connect to the DVI KVM switch from your DisplayPort out from your laptop using a DisplayPort to DVI adapter. Connecting DVI to HDMI is even easier - simply use DVI-HDMI cables to make the connections.