1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

KVM Adapter VGA, DVI, HDMI, Display Link

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Ken, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Ken

Ken Guest

Dear KVM Galore,

I am inquiring about the DVN-4Quad-D KVM switch and want to make sure that I purchase the correct adapters. From the DVN-4Quad-D to the monitors, I plan on using DVI cables so this should not be an issue, of course please let me know if I am mistaken or have not considered everything. From various devices such as docking stations or desktop PCs, I will have a VGA port, a DisplayPort, and an HDMI port. I want to confirm that I will need the following:

1) From the VGA port: It is my impression that direction of the signal matters and that a simple VGA to DVI adapter will not suffice. It is also my impression that I will need to purchase (somewhat costly) a USB powered part number DVA. Please confirm that this is necessary in order to be compatible with the DVN-4Quad-D.

2) From the DisplayPort to the DVI input I am noting the part number DP2DVIADAP DisplayPort to DVI adapter. Do we have a cable that would convert from DisplayPort to DVI so that this adapter is not necessary and to confirm, will this properly convert the signal from DisplayPort to DVI in order to be compatible with the aforementioned KMV DP2DVIADAP?

3) From HDMI to DVI I am noting part number 42513 to convert from HDMI to DVI. Do we have a cable that will also achieve this end in order to avoid the adapter and would again like to confirm that this will properly convert from HDMI to DVI in order to be compatible with the DP2DVIADAP KVM switch.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

- Ken

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello Ken,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

We are assuming you are referring to DVN-4Quad-DL.

DP2DVIADAP is an adapter, not a KVM switch, so we're not sure what compatibility you are seeking here.

Correct!

You need a VGA to DVI-D converter when coming from a VGA source into DVN-4Quad-DL. DVA is one good option to consider. Please make sure the converter you select supports the video resolution you're looking to run and supports the direction you need (i.e. VGA -> DVI).

You need a DisplayPort to DVI adapter when coming from a DisplayPort source into DVN-4Quad-DL. DP2DVIADAP is one good option to consider. Please make sure the adapter you select supports the video resolution you're looking to run and supports the direction you need (i.e. DisplayPort -> DVI).

Yes!

You need an HDMI to DVI adapter when coming from an HDMI source into DVN-4Quad-DL. 42513 is one good adapter-cable option to consider. Please make sure the adapter you select supports the video resolution you're looking to run.

Yes!

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime. You may also give us a call at 1-800-636-3434 for further clarifications on this thread.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.