1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

IP Controlling a USB/DVI machine remotely over the Internet

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Ronnie, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Ronnie

Ronnie New member

I am looking for an IP based KVM that would allow me to access/control a Windows 7 machine remotely.

I'm looking for both video and audio with as good a quality as possible (video resolution is 1920x1080).

I have been looking at the AdderLink IP Gold. Can you recommend anything better or is this the product you would recommend?

Also, with this or a similar KVM, is it possible to add a switch that would allow me to control multiple machines?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Before we can make a recommendation - we have a few clarifying questions:

1) Does your Windows 7 machine you are looking to control have DVI video?

2) When considering controlling multiple machines - what would be the total number of machines to be controlled over IP?

3) When considering controlling multiple machines - will they all have the same type video (i.e. DVI video)?

3. Ronnie

Ronnie New member

The most important functionality is to control a specific windows7 machine with dual DVI video. It's a video switcher system made by NewTek, model is TriCaster 850.

Everything else would be a bonus but would like to know my options. I have one more windows 7 machine with DVI that would be nice to control, and several Macs. The Macs are optional.

4. KVMGalore Expert

[​IMG]For dual-DVI remote access over IP we have, in the past, recommended using two AdderLink IP Gold units (one for each video head) but your resolution is too high for AdderLink IP Gold to work (max resolution is 1600 x 1200).

For 1920x1080 (1080p) resolution you could use two of the new AdderLink Digital iPEPS, one for each video head.

AdderLink Digital iPEPS units also support audio over IP.

For future switching capability among multiple computers - assuming some (or all) computers have dual-DVI - you can look at AdderView PRO MultiScreen, 4-Ports, Dual-Head, or any other dual-DVI and USB KVM switch for that matter.

5. Ronnie

Ronnie New member

Can you answer the same question without the dual DVI? The second DVI monitor is optional – I do however need the 1920x1080.

Would you still recommend the AdderLink iPEPS?

6. Ronnie

Ronnie New member

Also, to reiterate I need to access these machines over the public Internet.

7. KVMGalore Expert

Yes. KVM over IP models supporting DVI video are scarcely available in the marketplace. AdderLink Digital iPEPS is definitely the solution for you, supporting DVI, 1920x1080 and audio over an IP network, such as LAN, WAN and - yes - public Internet as well!

8. Ronnie

Ronnie New member

And the only other equipment I would need is USB cables and DVI cables?

Does it require a VNC player?

Can you briefly explain how I would connect remotely?

9. Ronnie

Ronnie New member

Would I use USB/DVI splitter if I wanted to access the machine locally? It doesn't appear to have a pass through type functionality like the AdderLink IP Gold.

10. KVMGalore Expert

Yes. The only other equipment you would need is USB and DVI cables which ship with AdderLink Digital iPEPS.

Yes, AdderLink Digital iPEPS requires Adder's VNC Viewer (special version of RVNC viewer). If you do not already have a VNC viewer, there are three options:
    • You can download a Windows VNC Viewer from the Digital iPEPS itself.
    • You can download the latest VNC Viewers for most operating systems via the RealVNC website, or for tablets and smartphones from the appropriate app store.
    • Without downloading anything, you can run a Java version of the VNC Viewer inside your web browser.
    Note: The version of VNC supplied within the Digital iPEPS supports audio, however, audio is not supported in the later viewers from RealVNC.

Connection to Digital iPEPS is carried out over a network, using a VNC Viewer program running on a computer or mobile device. Once connected to Digital iPEPS via the VNC Viewer, the viewer window gives you the ability to view and control the Digital iPEPS and its host computer(s). Its operation is almost
    identical regardless of whether you used the VNC viewer or your Java viewer to display it.

You are correct - AdderLink Digital iPEPS does not have a pass-through for local access. You can use a simple 'Y' cable to split the DVI video, one end of the 'Y' cable going to the local monitor, the other end going to the iPEPS. Keyboard and mouse would need to be connected directly to the computer.