1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-screen Dual-video KVM solution

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Paul S, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Paul S

Paul S New member

I have two computers and I'm looking to set up a dual-video KVM switching solution, ending up with one keyboard, one mouse and two screens (for extended desktop), with the ability to switch between the two computers.

Both computers each currently have only one video output, and it's VGA.

Both my monitors only have DisplayPort and Mini-DisplayPort video inputs.

Can you recommend a solution?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

There two issues here that require attention:
    1) Availability of two video ports on each computer.
    2) Compatibility between VGA video on computers and DisplayPort video on the monitors.

1) Since each of your computers has only one video port, you will first need to set up a 2nd video port for each computer (see Implementation tab in Multiscreen KVM switch knowledge-base article). Assuming each computer has an available USB 2.0 port, an easy way to setup a 2nd video port would be by using and external video adapter powered via USB.
    In particular:
    - USB 2.0 to VGA Adapter
    - USB 2.0 External VGA Video Card

Since your video outputs are VGA, you should deploy a 2-port VGA dual-view KVM switch.

2) Luckily, DisplayPort video is compatible with VGA video. All you will need to complete the connection of the two monitors to the KVM switch would be DisplayPort-VGA adapters to use with standard VGA cables.