1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-screen Dual-view DisplayPort KVM

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Frank S, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Frank S

Frank S Member

I have 3 computers in the computer room which I need to access and control from one console at my office which is about 50-60 feet away.
    Two computers have VGA video + audio (speakers and mic).
    One computer has DVI video + audio (speakers and mic).
    I'm adding a 4th computer which has DisplayPort dual-video + audio (speakers and mic).

I was looking at DPN-4Duo and I was wondering whether it could handle the switching?

In addition, of course, I will need a console extender (over CATx) that will support dual-video extension (to support my new DisplayPort computer) and audio (speakers and mic).

Can you offer a solution?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

We need some additional information please:
    1) Your DVI computer - is it DVI-D or DVI-I?
    2) What is the video resolution run by each one of the four computers?

P.S. It is better that you sign-in before you reply to this thread (instead of posting as a guest). This will allow you to easily look up this conversation anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

3. Frank S

Frank S Member

The 3rd computer is actually NOT DVI, after looking at the connection, it is an older Dell single monitor DataPort connection.

The 3 older PC resolutions are all 1280 X 1024. The new dual-monitor Dell is 1920 X 1080. Thanks,

4. KVMGalore Expert

Not sure what type of video connector are you referring to - can you please send a photo of the video port?

Another question - what type video do the two monitors at your desk support?

5. Frank S

Frank S Member

I don't think it is necessary to send a picture. I am referring to the video DataPort port on the back of the PC, where the monitor plugs into it, I'm sure you deal with these every day. To recap, we have two PCs with single VGA ports, a PC with a single DataPort port, and the new Dell PC with dual DataPort outputs.
    Let me know if this is still not clear.

The two new monitors support VGA, DVI and DataPort and they are widescreen format. Thanks!

6. Frank S

Frank S Member

Are we good? I would like to move forward with this purchase.

7. KVMGalore Expert

Perhaps you mean DisplayPort (which is the original spec we got from you for the new computer).

8. Frank S

Frank S Member

That is correct. DisplayPort.

9. KVMGalore Expert

Although the back-view image of the product does not show audio connections, we have confirmed that DPN-4Duo does support audio (speakers + mic), and so this switch is good for your setup.
    Since cables are not included, you will need to separately get DisplayPort (male to male) cables, USB (Type A to Type B) cables, as well as 3.5mm audio cables for connecting your computers to the switch.
    You will also need two VGA to DisplayPort adapters to connect your two VGA computers.

You will need a DisplayPort KVM extender that supports dual-video, such as AdderLink XD522.

10. KVMGalore Expert

As to your two VGA computers - conversion/adaption from VGA to DisplayPort is not currently available. To circumvent this, you will need to have these two computers fitted with video cards supporting DisplayPort.