1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Upscale DVD upscaling

Discussion in 'Audio/Video' started by António Martins, Nov 18, 2014.

1. António Martins

António Martins New member

I need your advice on DVD upscaling. I have a DVD collection and I'm not thinking (and can't!) change all of it to Blu-Ray discs. So I've been looking for upscaling methods. I have a Blu-Ray disc player, Samsung BD F-7500 that also does DVD upscale, but I'm not sure if I really should choose a box dedicated to upscaling instead of just using the Blu-Ray player. I also know that there are other very expensive blue ray players that do upscale better than mine like the Oppo...But that I just can't afford...

My idea is to have DVD movies projected with my LG led PB60G (HD 720p native) on a 116" screen through a Blu-Ray player.

But I'm looking to make the most out of my DVD collection, getting the best image possible! Would an external scaler be the best choice for me?

What are the options you have on this field? Do you also sell to Portugal?

Thank you very much for your help!

Warm regards from Portugal.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Your best bet is to stick with your Blu-Ray player - it probably does as good a job upscaling your old DVDs as any "professional" stand alone scaler out there.

Upscaling is a process that mathematically matches the pixel count of the output of the DVD signal to the physical pixel count on an HDTV, which is typically 1280x720 (720p) or 1920x1080 (1080i or 1080p).

The upscaling process does a good job of matching the upscaled pixel output of a DVD player to the native pixel display resolution of an HDTV capable television, resulting in better detail and color consistency.

However, upscaling, as it is currently implemented, cannot convert standard DVD images into true high-definition images. In fact, although upscaling works well with fixed pixel displays, such as Plasma and LCD televisions, results are not always consistent on CRT-based high definition televisions.

All Blu-Ray Disc players have the ability to play DVDs, and perform the upscaling tasks. Assuming your projector is actually communicating to your Blu-Ray its ability to display 1080p, all you need to do is make sure to establish an HDMI connection between your Blu-Ray and your projector to make the Blu-Ray's upscaling capability work.

3. António

António Guest

Hello!

Thank you very much for the valuable information!

Warm Regards from Portugal
    António