1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-screen HDMI KVM switch for USB C monitors

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Ari Laquidara, Apr 12, 2023.

1. Hello, I just spoke with Daniel a little earlier. I have a MacBook Pro 2021 (USB-C ports only) and an Alienware R13 desktop (1x HDMI and 3x DP). My monitors are an LG ultrafine 5k (USB-C only) and an Apple Studio Display (also USB-C). Daniel suggested posting here to get the recommendation for an HDMI KVM switch that would support the 5k resolution available on both monitors. Please send me links to the switch and cables I need.

Thanks!

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello Ari,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

Before we can point you in the right direction, we need some additional information about your setup:
    1) How many monitors are you looking to set yourself up at your console? One? or Two?
    2) What is the max video resolution supported by your MacBook Pro 2021/
    3) What is the max video resolution supported by your Alienware R13 desktop?

Please advise.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

3. Hello, is Daniel available? He spoke to me at length over the phone.

1. 2 monitors
    2. MacBook Pro – supports up to two external displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz
    3. Alienware R13 with Geforce 3060 – supports up to 4 monitors at 7680 x 4320 @120 Hz over DP and 4096 x 2160 @ 60 Hz over HDMI.

4. Ari Laquidara

Ari Laquidara New member

Hi again, following up to see if you could point me in the right direction?

As a follow-up to my conversation with Daniel, I went ahead and purchased the following hardware to test while I was waiting for a reply from your team:
    1. AV Access 4KSW21-DM
    2. 1x Powerbear HDMI Cable for my PC
    3. 1x Warrky Displayport to HDMI Cable for my PC (the PC only has 1 HDMI port, so Daniel recommended DP to HDMI for the other cable)
    4. 4x Uni USB-C to HDMI cables, 2 for the monitors to the KVM, and 2 for the Mac to the KVM
    The setup does not work as far as I can tell. The monitors do not power up when switching to either the Mac or PC side. Perhaps this is a data point which could help steer the recommendation for what equipment to buy from your site?

Thanks so much.

5. KVMGalore Expert

Hello Ari,

The hold-up (and also, possibly, one reason your described setup did not work) is sending the video from HDMI to your USB-C monitors. You would need 2x HDMI to USB-C cables (to send the video from an HDMI KVM switch to both your USB-C monitors), but all HDMI-USB-C cables that we are aware of (as well as those mentioned in your list above) are uni-directional from USB-C to HDMI (not bi-directional).

6. Ari Laquidara

Ari Laquidara New member

Ok, so is this project possible or no? Different switch or different cables?

7. KVMGalore Expert

We are still researching HDMI to USB-C cables for you. Without such cables, you won't be able to use your USB-C monitors with with any KVM switch that doesn't send out video via USB-C ports.
    That being said, top-brand KVM switches supporting USB-C are still scarce: they do not support dual-video, and they support USB-C only on the computer end (not the monitor end).

Stay tuned, please.

8. Ari Laquidara

Ari Laquidara New member

Thank you, looking forward to your reserach.