1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-screen KVM for Windows 10 tower, HP Elitebook, and MacBook Air

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Geoff Maxey, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Geoff Maxey

Geoff Maxey New member

I am looking for a KVM switch that supports:

USB-C input from an HP laptop (power delivery, audio and video), Thunderbolt 3 input from a MacBook Air, and HDMI & USB 3 from a tower PC.

The computers to switch between are:

1) A home-built Core i7-3770k (launched in Q2 '12) Windows 10 Home PC with dual graphics cards. With the upgrade in graphics cards and Windows 10 it's still going strong. I use HDMI 4K but the cards support DP also. PC supports USB 3.
    2) An HP Elitebook Core i7-8665U Windows 10 Enterprise, USB-C out to a Wavlink docking station. The docking station outputs USB 3, HDMI 4K, and DP.
    3) A MacBook Air Core i3 with Intel Iris Plus Graphics, through Thunderbolt 3. Apple's support page states the system supports "Up to two external 4K displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors" with "Native DisplayPort output over USB-C" or " ... HDMI ... output using adapters (sold separately)".

I would like to do away with the docking station and only have 1 box on my desk.

I use 2 monitors LG 3440x1440 and LG 2560x1440 and Bose 2.1 speakers. I'd be willing to update from the 2560x1440 to 3440x1440, for both more screen real estate and because the 2560x1440 only supports HDMI.

Right now, I have the docking station for the HP laptop, a StarTech HDMI/DP 2x4K box, and a whole bunch of cables. I'd like to get down to just 1 box and just a few cables

I also have a Logitech 1080p camera and a Logitech K850 keyboard/mouse combo.

Anyone know of a KVM switch that can do all this?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello Geoff,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

KVM switches supporting USB-C are still pretty scarce in the marketplace, and very few support more than two computers, so it looks like you may need to take a creative route (i.e. use USB-C to HDMI video adapters to support connections to an HDMI KVM switch) to accomplish your goal.

Please let us know if you want to take this route - we may be able then to steer you in the right direction after getting some additional clarifications regarding your setup.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.