1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

IP KVM over IP for Virtual Production 8port 4k HDMI

Discussion in 'KVM' started by IntellingMedia, Apr 6, 2023.

1. We have four computers that drive a large LED wall in our studio. Obviously the render, display and composite hardware can be noisy so we can't have them on the set when we are in production. I need to be able to switch between all 4 of them. We need 4k resolution at 60Hz. Later we may add a fifth or sixth machine so perhaps a 6port KVM would be best. Any thoughts?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello IntellingMedia,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

Not sure we understand your requirements...
    1) Is the user who needs to control (and switch between) the 4 computers located in a different location than the computers?
    2) Any specific reason for you to mention "KVM over IP"?
    3) A diagram depicting what you're looking to accomplish could be helpful (sign-up required)

Please advise.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

3. Intelling

Intelling Guest

Yes the 4 computers are in a nearby room <50ft away. They are computers delivering 4K content to our led wall. The led wall is our studio where the production crew member controls them.

4. KVMGalore Expert

If we understand you correctly, you have 4x HDMI (4K @ 60Hz) computers in one location which need to be controlled by one user located less than 50 feet away from the computers.

There are two ways to accomplish this:

1) Traditional KVM switching and extension:
    a) Deploy a 4-port (or an 8-port) HDMI KVM switch by the computers;
    b) Deploy an HDMI+USB extender over CATx (not over a network) from the switch's console port 50 feet away to where the user is located.

2) KVM over IP:
    a) Setup a dedicated Ethernet network;
    b) Connect 4x Transmitter (Tx) units (e.g. KX9970T or ALIF4001T) to the 4 computers (1x to each computer - being that these devices have DisplayPort connectors, you'll need HDMI to DisplayPort adapter cables to make the connection to the HDMI computers);
    c) Connect 4x Transmitter (Tx) units to the Ethernet network;
    d) Deploy 1x (brand-corresponding) Receiver (Rx) unit (e.g. KX9970R or ALIF4001R at the user's location (being that these devices have DisplayPort connectors, you'll need DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to make the connection to the HDMI monitor);
    e) Connect 1x Receiver (Rx) unit to the Ethernet network.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime. You may also give us a call at 1-800-636-3434 for further clarifications on this thread.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

5. Intelling

Intelling Guest

Thank you for this. I dont like the idea of running 4x transmitters to 4x receivers. Just too much clutter where we are working from. I was hoping to have a 1u 4 port (or 8 port) transmitter to a single 4port (or 8 port) 1u reciever. If I understand you correctly, this can be done with a Catx cable console to console? Right? If so - Which one do you recommend?

6. KVMGalore Expert

Dear Intelling,

The 1st option we mentioned (Traditional KVM switching and extension) consists of only one CATx run from the computer' location to the user's location.

The 2nd option we mentioned (KVM over IP) consists of only one Receiver (Rx) unit, not 4.

Hope this helps!

7. Intelling

Intelling Guest

So based on what you suggest - couldn't this work too? It looks like it will handle "8 to one" and over 300ft. Am I correct here?
    CS18208

8. Intelling

Intelling Guest

I also looked at this one but not sure which is best. I think this would work too would it not?
    UHDN-4P

9. KVMGalore Expert

Both of these are HDMI KVM switches that can be deployed as we recommended in our Traditional KVM switching and extension recommendation above. However, neither of these has built-in console extension. To facilitate the extension of the console to your user's location, you will need - as recommended above - to deploy an HDMI+USB extender over CATx (not over a network) from the switch's console port 50 feet away to where the user is located.

Hope this helps!

10. Intelling

Intelling Guest

I understand better now. I'm getting closer. I want to be able to be 50 to 300ft away with one(1) (4-8port) receiver. And connect to rack mounted machines with one(1) 4-8port transmitter. I don't want 4x transmitters and 1 receiver. I do need 4k HDMI but I can also work with DP (not worried about that part). Of the products you recommend, which is reputable and solid?

11. KVMGalore Expert

We offered two different ways to accomplish this, both are reputable and solid, so it boils down to your own preferences and budget.

Hope this helps!

12. Intelling

Intelling Guest

OK. Last question. If can I have multiple receivers connected to a single transmitter. Where different staff in different office locations might be able to access the machines in the computer room. Would I be able to have two people operate different machines through the KVM at the same time?

13. Intelling

Intelling Guest

Is there a traditional KVM 16port switch with drawer/slideout 4k console display?

14. KVMGalore Expert

15. Intelling

Intelling Guest

Ok. We took all of your input and it came back with concerns see below: Do you have any recommendations based on the comments. I still think we need a 16port to a multicast receiver so that multiple people could use simultaneously.

(16-port USB 3.1 4K HDMI KVM switch)
    No, not the right type for our needs system wide.
    (ST-C6USB4K18GB-230T: Extend a 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 HDMI display and USB)
    I'd also say no. The manual does not say if it will do Multicast (Many users to one computer at the same time)
    Still checking on this.

(VE813A USB, HDMI HDBaseT™ KVM extender 4K @ 328 feet)
    The manual does not say if it will do Multicast (Many users to one computer at the same time)
    Still checking on this.

______
    I'm currently looking at:
    Gefan 4K Ultra HD HDMI KVM over IP Extender / Matrix Switch (Sender unit) EXT-UHDKA-LANS-TX
    and

Gefan 4K Ultra HD HDMI KVM over IP Extender / Matrix Switch (Receiver unit) EXT-UHDKA-LANS-RX

16. KVMGalore Expert

Not sure what are you referring to as a multicast receiver. Please explain.

We understood your initial request to be of one user accessing multiple computer. If you're looking to set up a matrix (multiple users accessing multiple computers), you can use our KVM over IP solution as described, but instead of deploying 1x Receiver (Rx) unit (for one user), you will need to deploy a Receiver (Rx) unit for each user.

Hope this helps!

17. Intelling

Intelling Guest

HI - by multicast receiver we mean multiple users simultaneously. For Instance the
    EXT-UHDKA-LANS-TX: Extend and distribute 4K HDMI w/ HDR, USB, RS-232, infrared (IR) and 2-way audio over LAN for a matrix of multiple users accessing and controlling multiple HDMI KVM sources Extend and Distribute 4K HDMI w/ HDR, USB, RS-232, IR, and 2-way audio over a Local Area Network.

18. KVMGalore Expert

In order to allow multiple users to access a computer using a system like this, each user must have a Receiver (Rx) unit.

19. Intelling

Intelling Guest

Yes - we agree, but which is the recommended models that will provide what we need. In light of some of the requirements mentioned in my more recent emails.

20. Intelling

Intelling Guest

We changed our requirement from having a single user to having multiple users. We added the audio requirement as well - now we would like to understand what recommendations you have so we can consider.