1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

IP KVM Over IP Potential Barriers

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Ricarte D. Fermin Jr., Aug 3, 2021.

1. Hello. I hope you could help me with my queries about AVX1008IP-US.
    1. Does corporate VPN on a host (server) cause issues?
    2. Can permissions within Windows stop a host (server) from working?
    3. Are there any hardware "features" in a laptop that would make it not work as a host (server)?
    4. Does any local router settings have to be made for this to work (firewall, etc.)?

Thank you!

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Dear Ricarte D. Fermin Jr.:

We're working on getting all the answers for you - please stay tuned.

Thank you for your patience!

3. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Dear Ricarte,

These are very broad, generic questions and we would need to know more about their setup to see if the switch would work or not.

The product's manual (available here) describes what needs to be configured when going through a firewall in fairly great details but they are not firewall specific so they’ll need to “translate” them to their flavor of firewall.

Depending on configuration using a VPN can cause connectivity issues.

If the local console ports of the switch (keyboard, mouse, monitor) work then no.

A3. Not sure what hardware features they are referring to. If they are asking about using a CAC reader then no, that would not work.The CAMs need 500mA power. It’s rare but some laptop may not provide enough power to a properly power the CAM.

Very likely.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime. You may also give us a call at 1-800-636-3434 for further clarifications on this thread.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.