1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-screen KVM Solution for Two Inputs (laptop and gaming desktop)

Discussion in 'KVM' started by DrPepperholik, Nov 7, 2021.

1. DrPepperholik

DrPepperholik Member

I am working from home and need to be able to share a keyboard (Ducky One 2), mouse (Steelseries Sensei Ten) and two monitors (ViewSonic XG2760 and ViewSonic VG2748) with both my gaming desktop and work laptop.

Each monitor has a single DisplayPort input and a single HDMI input.

The keyboard and mouse are both USB-A.

The gaming desktop that has an Nvidia RTX 2070, I had it connected to both monitors via DisplayPort.

The work laptop is a Dell Precision 5550 that only has USB-C ports on it. It did come with a docking station that has a single HDMI and a single DisplayPort.

What are my options for making both computers work nicely with both monitors, the keyboard and mouse and be able to easily switch between both without losing anything when playing games on my desktop?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

HelloDrPepperholik,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

Before we can point you in the right direction, we need some additional information about your setup. Please advise:
    Does your gaming desktop also have an HDMI video connection?

Awaiting your response.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

3. DrPepperholik

DrPepperholik Member

Yes, it has one HDMI port.

4. KVMGalore Expert

Typically, KVM switches support an identical video connection across the board which, in your case, would require using some video adapters, which, in turn, may badly affect the switch's performance.
    SM-UHX-2D, however, is a hybrid dual-screen KVM switch designed precisely in order to avoid the use of video adapters, and perfectly fits your setup.
    From each computer, it will accept one HDMI video feed and one DisplayPort video feed, then it'll send the two video feeds to two HDMI monitors.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime. You may also give us a call at 1-800-636-3434 for further clarifications on this thread.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

5. DrPepperholik

DrPepperholik Member

Will anything be lost from the gaming PC by using HDMI instead of DisplayPort to the g-sync monitor?

Additionally, will the laptop dock cause issues with resolution on that KVM switch?

6. KVMGalore Expert

No.

SM-UHX-2D supports 4K Ultra-HD (3840x2160 @ 60Hz). Not sure what issues you are referring to. Please advise.

7. DrPepperholik

DrPepperholik Member

Right now the way I have it set up the resolution is super low on one of the monitors for the laptop. I'm just wondering if it will have issues because I'll have to use the dock to connect to the switch since the laptop itself doesn't have any ports other than USB-C.

8. KVMGalore Expert

The KVM switch passes the video it gets from the computer to the monitor and does not change its resolution, so whatever resolution you have set for that video output out of the computer - that would be the resolution displayed on the screen.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime. You may also give us a call at 1-800-636-3434 for further clarifications on this thread.