1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-screen KVM solution inquiry

Discussion in 'KVM' started by MichaelT, Mar 24, 2020.

1. MichaelT

MichaelT Guest

I am looking to purchase a KVM switch for home use to use with both my home laptop (a Lenovo P1) and my work laptop (a Dell Latitute 5289). The issue I am experiencing is the Latitute 5289 does not support Thunderbolt, but rather is only a USB-C dock while the P1 is a Thunderbolt. See for example,: https://www.dell.com/support/articl...-port-lack-a-thunderbolt-3-controller?lang=en , which shows that the 5289 does not have Thunderbolt 3 capability and is only compatible with a USB Type-C dock.

I am aware the IOGEAR GUD3C04 supports both USB-C and Thunderbolt Type-C, however, this KVM switch only supports a single display.

Is there a KVM that will support input from both a USB-C laptop and a Thunderbolt Type-C laptop as well as output to two display devices?

Thanks,

Mike

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello Mike,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

Correct. KVM switches that interface with computers via USB-C connections (instead of video + USB connections) are just starting to come to market. Currently we are unaware of any such KVM switches that support two monitors.

If you must have support for two monitors via a KVM switch, you might want to consider the following:
    1) Use anyone of these dual-HDMI USB video adapters, one connected to each of your laptops. This will create two HDMI video outputs for each of your laptops.
    2) Connect your newly-created HDMI ports to a dual-video HDMI KVM switch.
    By the same token you dual-DisplayPort USB video adapters and a dual-video DisplayPort KVM switch (which offers you a larger selection to choose from).

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.