1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch KVM with Desktop and MS Surface using a dock?

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Brian, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Brian

Brian Guest

Hello,

I purchased a SOHO Dual-Head KVM Switch (Model No. SM-DPN-2D-S) and I am trying to use it with the following:

I am trying to share two ViewSonic monitors (ViewSonic VX2458-MHD 24" Full HD 1920 x 1080 1ms 144Hz 2 x HDMI DisplayPort FreeSync Built-in Speakers Anti-Glare LED Backlit LCD Gaming Monitor) connected via DisplayPort cables to the KVM.

a Logitech K780 Multi-Device Wireless Keyboard using the USB transmitter plugged into the KVM.

a wired USB mouse connected to the KVM.

and I am trying to share these items between two PC's:

a Windows 10 desktop PC with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

and a Microsoft Surface Pro (model 1769) intel core i5-7300U with integrated Intel HD Graphics 620 video connected to a Microsoft Surface Dock (model 1661) for Mobile has two Mini DisplayPort video ports.

The desktop is recognized by the KVM and works successfully on Connection-2. When I press the selector and switch to Connection-1, the Microsoft Surface via the Surface Dock connected to the KVM does not seem to be recognized. Nothing shows on the displays and I am unable to control the mouse and keyboard.

I have a mini display port to display port cable connected from each port on the dock to each display port on the "In-1 side of the KVM" and I also have a USB cable connected the from the IN-1 to the dock as well.

Can you confirm compatibility and if others have had success using laptop docking stations with the KVM?

thank you,

Brian Bocian

2. Michael SmartAVI

Michael SmartAVI Active member

Hello Brian,

Sorry for the issues you are experiencing with the SM-DVN-2D. We looked into your issue and unfortunately it seems to be a compatibility issue with your Surface docking station. We suggest you try a different docking station that might work for you. We cannot recommend any USB-C docking stations at the moment, especially those that output multiple DP displays from a single input. We performed extensive testing on these devices and connecting directly from the Microsoft Surface to the KVM via USB-C to DP cable should work with no issues.

As for the USB issues, are you connecting to the back of the KVM to the USB ports labeled K/M or USB? If you are connecting to KM, please switch the connection to the USB port and try again.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2021