1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

LCD Console Shallow LCD KVM console/drawer/switch

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Mike B, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Mike B

Mike B New member

I'm looking for a 17" LCD KVM console/drawer with an 8-port KVM switch.

The LCD KVM console/drawer needs to get installed on a rack, servicing servers mounted on two rack on both sides, and the cables will have to go up the rack, then down to the servers, which may mean they need to be longer. This said, it may be beneficial to use a KVM switch supporting CAT-5 cables.

The rack for the LCD KVM console/drawer is a 2-post rack (only 3-inches deep), and so the LCD KVM console/drawer needs to be as shallow as possible (since it'll be rack-mounted only at the front). This said, perhaps the KVM switch should be separate to support a shallower LCD KVM console/drawer.

The computers have USB and DVI-I, and don't run high resolution, and so I can go with either a DVI solution or a VGA solution (using adapters, as I currently am).

Could you please recommend...
    1) The shallowest LCD KVM console/drawer
    2) Stand alone or integrated CAT-5 KVM switch along with the dongles
    3) DVI to VGA adapters

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Here are four different LCD KVM console/drawer models sorted by their depth (in inches):
    RACKMUX-V17-N 21.9
    T1700-LED 22.4
    RCT-DSU117 23.25
    RCT-SU117S 24.63

To help prevent sagging when mounting on a 2-post rack, you might want to install a Rear-Mount Support Kit or a 9- or 15-inch Combo Shelf at the back of the rack, on which the rear portion of the LCD KVM console/drawer can lean on.

Here are some 8-port CAT-5 KVM switches supporting VGA & USB. At the bottom of each product page you will find a list of dongles that work with that particular model. Some models to closely look at include:
    MasterConsole CAT18
    AdderView CATx 1000

You will need a VGA (F) to DVI (M) adapter to adapt the VGA port of the dongle to the DVI-I port on your computer.
    This one in particular should work for you.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime, or just offer your feedback.