1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi-screen Switch for different combinations of monitors?

Discussion in 'KVM' started by NeedITHelp, Jun 5, 2016.

1. NeedITHelp

NeedITHelp New member

I have a docking station and desktop. And I have 2 monitors. Most of the time I will use one monitor for the laptop and one monitor for the desktop. But sometimes the work on the laptop requires both monitors and sometimes the work on the PC requires both monitors.

Is there a switch which allows me to easily switch between different combinations?

I have separate Internet, keyboards and mice for each, so it's only the monitors (2x Dell U24i4h monitors) that I am looking to switch between the two based upon need.

Obviously, based upon the non-technical (and probably incorrect) use of terms, I am NOT an IT expert.

Grateful for any advice.

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

We have a few clarifying questions to better understand your setup:

1) Are your monitors Dell U2414H?

2) Does your docking station have HDMI video output?

3) Does your desktop have HDMI video output?

4) When you want both monitors showing video from one computer - are you looking for the video to be...
    a) duplicated? (video on monitor #1 is identically displayed on monitor #2? or...
    b) extended desktop (video spans across both monitors with mouse moving from one monitor to the other, as if it were one big screen)?

3. NeedITHelp

NeedITHelp New member

1) Yes my monitors are both Dell U2414h.

2) Yes, it has an HDMI port, and others, as follows:
    • 1x VGA port
    • 1x DVI-D port, 2x DisplayPort, 1x HDMI port (only 2 can be active)
    • 3x USB 2.0 ports, one port supports always-on USB charging
    • 3x USB 3.0 port
    • 10/1000 Gigabit Ethernet port
    3) No, my desktop doesn't have HDMI output. Each monitor has both a USB & DisplayPort cable. The USB cables are each plugged into separate USB ports on the desktop and then the two DisplayPort cables are connected via-a-vis a DMS-59 male to dual DisplayPort female adapter.

4) When I use both monitors for one computer I want the video to be an extended desktop, as if if we're one big screen.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my desperate plea for help. Is there any other information that I can [try] to provide?

4. KVMGalore Expert

Please further explain how is the Desktop connected to your monitor (pictures might be helpful).

5) a) How many video outputs does the Desktop have?
    b) What type?
    c) If more than one - how many can be simultaneously active?

5. NeedITHelp

NeedITHelp New member

image.jpeg image.jpeg 5) the desktop seems to have only 2 video outputs, the DVI Port and a VGA port (picture included). I do not know how to determine how many can be active at the same time. Can you advise how I might figure that out? And thanks again for your continued patience and assistance.

6. KVMGalore Expert

The easiest way to to hook-up two monitors to both video outputs at the same time and use your OS to setup both screens as extended desktop.
    In your case, it is very probable that only one output can be active at any given time.

7. KVMGalore Expert

Yes. In two steps.

1) Both the docking station and the desktop computer must have 2 active video outputs to support extended desktop. Your docking station appears to have this available (1x DVI-D; 1x HDMI - use a simple adapter to adapt the HDMI to DVI) but the desktop computer appears to have only one. You will need to add a 2nd video output to the desktop (learn more about multi-screen computers) by either...
    a) Adding a 2nd DVI video card, or
    b) Replacing your existing video card with a dual-video DVI card, or
    c) Use an external DVI video card via a USB port.

2) Once you have both computers setup with dual-video, you'll need a 4-port DVI dual-video KVM switch. Port #1 (for example) will switch to Desktop computer, extended desktop. Port #4 will switch to Docking station, extended desktop. And selection of port #3 (for example) will show Desktop computer on one monitor and Docking station on the other monitor.

We can generate a drawing for you when you're ready to make the connections.