1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

I/O USB AOC connected to a hub

Discussion in 'Cables' started by Lee K, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Lee K

Lee K New member

Can I use the item 'CrystalLink USB 3.1 Active Optical Cable, 10m' only with commercial USB hub by using a converting connector from male to female?
    I mean to use the cable with USB hub, is there any restriction?
    I will going to use the cable with the USB hub 'Anker AH241 USB 3.0 Aluminum 13-Port Hub + 5V 2.1A Smart Charging Port with 12V 5A Power Adapter [VIA VL812-B2 Chipset]' at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GSLMTQ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1, what do you think? Any problem?

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello Lee,

Thank you for reaching out.

We were able to confirm with the manufacturer that CLK-AOCU05-AMAM010M will work with the linked Anker AH241 USB 3.0 hub, but there are some limitations:
    - Only USB 3.0 / 3.1 will work when these products are used together.
    - USB 2.0 and USB 1.0 products will not work.

So, if you will only use and only need USB 3.0 / 3.1 devices, this combination will work.

To support USB 2.0 extension, a novel approach to reduce size and cost is used. Only USB 3.0/3.1 is transported, but it is converted to USB 3.0/3.1 + USB 2.0 at the remote end by either external converting hub (purchased separately) or with conversion embedded in the cable.

However, if you intend to use USB 2.0 and USB 3.0/3.1, CrystalLink USB 3.1 Hybrid Optical Extension Cables are more appropriate because these cables have conversion embedded in the cable. We have not tested Anker's product with this cable, but we don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime, or just offer your feedback.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.