1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch What KVM switch to connect a Mac Pro 1 w/dual DVI cinema displays to a new M2 Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Steve M., Mar 18, 2023.

1. Steve M.

Steve M. Guest

I'm looking for a KVM switch that will enable me to connect my old (replaced processors/powerful) Mac Pro 1 and its dual Apple DVI Cinema displays with a new M2 Mac Mini.

I also have a Wacom tablet as an added USB peripheral.

Would love your input!

Thanks!
    Steve

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Hello Steve,

Thank you for reaching out on our HelpCenter.

Before we can point you in the right direction, we need some additional information about your setup:
    1) What type of video connector(s) does your old Mac Pro have? and how many?
    2) What type of video connector(s) does your new M2 Mac Mini? and how many?
    3) What type of video connector(s) do your two Apple DVI Cinema displays have?
    4) What type of USB connectors does your old Mac Pro have? and how many?
    5) What type of USB connectors does your new M2 Mac Mini? and how many?

Please advise.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.

3. Steve M.

Steve M. Guest

Thanks for your kind help!

1) The Mac Pro has 2 DVI ports
    2) I haven't bought the Mac mini yet ... so that's open
    3) The Apple Cinema Displays each have a large umbilical with 4 output leads: 1-lead to a white A/C power block, 1-USB A, 1-Thunderbolt(?), and 1-DVI.
    4) The Mac Pro has 3-USB A Connectors on the back - one to a USB Hub (powered)
    5) Again ... no Mac mini yet. I've attached a shot of the back of the unit I expect to buy

[​IMG]

Thanks again!!
    Steve

4. KVMGalore Expert

Hello Steve,

Your image cannot be viewed because you are a guest. You will need to sign up to be able to upload images and files.
    See more details here.

5. Steve M.

Steve M. New member

Signed up, here they are ...

Thanks!
    Steve M.

Attached Files:

6. KVMGalore Expert

Hello Steve,

Thank you for the images.

You will need to go with a dual-head DVI KVM switch such as items # 1, 3, and 4 on this list.

Based on the image you provided, the Mac Mini only has one video port (HDMI). Being that HDMI video is compatible with DVI, all you'll need to make the connection to the one of the two video connections on the KVM switch will be an HDMI to DVI cable.
    For the 2nd video connection, you will need to create a video port off one of the Thunderbolt ports, by using a USB-C to DVI video adapter.

And you're good to go! :)

Hope this helps!
    We welcome your questions - please come back and ask us anything, anytime. You may also give us a call at 1-800-636-3434 for further clarifications on this thread.

Important note: To continue this discussion - please respond via KVMGalore HelpCenter thread, NOT via e-mail.