1. It is better to sign-up/log-in before you post your question (or reply to an existing thread), instead of posting as a guest.
    This will allow you to easily look up the Q&A sequence anytime, anywhere, with just one mouse click. Learn more...

You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts, or create a KVMGalore HelpCenter user-name/password.
    Dismiss Notice

Extender Will EXT-HDKVM-ELR extend the user ports of a SmartAvi HDN-8P?

Discussion in 'KVM' started by Kimball, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Kimball

Kimball Active member

I have a SmartAVI HGN-8P, an HDMI KVM switch.
    I need to extend the user ports of that device over CAT6 for about 40 Ft.
    Will the Geffen EXT-HDKVM-ELR enable my remote keyboard, mouse and HDMI monitor to interact with that Smart AVI switch?
    Thanks,
    Kimball Johnson

2. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

Thanks for your call.
    We now further understand that you are currently using a USB 2.0 headset (for audio) plugged into the switch (which supports USB peripheral sharing), and you'd like to use an extender that will allow you to use this headset at the extended console in a similar manner.
    We should be able to get back with your shortly with recommendations.

3. KVMGalore Expert

KVMGalore Expert Staff Member

One extender that can handle extending both HDMI video, USB keyboard/mouse and audio-via-USB from SmartAVI HDN-8P to your extended console is RAV-IP CAT-5 Extender.

Otherwise you will need two extension systems:

1) Extend HDMI video, USB keyboard/mouse from HDN-8P console-ports using Gefen EXT-HDKVM-ELR or ATEN VE813 or ATEN VE803. Alternatively, you could use less expensive DVI KVM extenders (with a DVI-HDMI adapter), being that DVI video is compatible with HDMI video.

2) Extend USB 2.0 from HDN-8P USB 2.0 hub-ports using a dedicated USB extender (make sure the model you choose supports USB 2.0).